Monday 7 April 2014

Life changing experience ~ Nicola Whitehill

Life changing experience


In 1997 at the age of 24, my world as I knew it changed.

I had been a relatively healthy individual up until that autumn.

I had gained my Bachelor of Science degree in Applied and Human Biology and was working as a pharmaceutical rep as well as studying for a postgraduate diploma in law, with view to realising my dream of being a barrister.

Almost overnight my symptoms appeared, my fingers would become blue and white in the cold, as well as I had an inexplicable tidal wave of tiredness engulfing me, along with my body literally turning to stone and always cold.

I was given the diagnosis of Systemic Sclerosis (Scleroderma) a chronic non-curable autoimmune condition and Raynaud’s syndrome.

Along with a 15 month life expectancy and a cocktail of immuno-toxic drugs.

And most devastating to me….. advised to give up on my dream.

I changed medical professionals and spent the next 7 years with my head in law books whilst taking the disease modifying toxic medication, and working as a practising barrister, loving my job – living my dream.

After stopping all cytotoxic drugs, I was unable to continue with the physical demands of my job and so I returned to my home town of Southport to be nearer my family and the sea.

I feel truly blessed to be under the care of such an amazing medical team, who are astounded with my progress, which encourages me even more to rewrite the medical prognosis for this diagnosis.  

Read more, Click here   




PLEASE DONATE to the ROYAL FREE CHARITY, to help fund desperately needed MEDICAL RESEARCH at the SCLERODERMA UNIT, THE ROYAL FREE NHS HOSPITAL.  



 
#SclerodermaFreeWorld   #RaynaudsFreeWorld   #Research 
  
#Autoimmune #RareDisease  #LifeChanging


  



 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.